This tutorial is about how to change drive letter and drive name in Windows 11 through Disk Management, System Options, and Command Prompt. Now let’s discuss.
Ways to Change Drive Letter and Name in Windows 11
Method 1. Through parameters
- Open the “Settings”> “System”> “Memory”
- Expand the Advanced Storage Options column and select Disks and Volumes .
- Click on the drive where you want to change the letter or name and select “Properties”.
- Click on “Change Label” to change the disc name.
- If you need to change the letter of the local drive, then click on “Change drive letter”.
Method 2. Through disk management
- Press Win + X and select “Disk Management”.
- Right-click the floor of the drive where you want to change the letter or name, and select “Change drive letter or drive path”
- In the new window, click on “Change” and select the letter you need to designate your local drive.
- To change the name of a drive, right-click on a drive from the list and select Properties .
- In the new window, write the name you need for the disk.
Method 3. Through the command line
To change the drive letter, run Command Prompt as administrator and enter the following commands:
- diskpart – launching the tool.
- list volume – display a list of sections.
- select volume 1 – select a section from the list above.
- assign letter=W – assign a new letter to the selected drive.
To change the disk name (label) enter the following command, replacing the name “Tech” with your own:
- label E: Tech