When Steam automatically starts updating a game like Dota 2, Counter-Strike or another, the user may face the problem “An error occurred while updating”. The error when updating games on Steam running Windows 11 usually occurs due to the cache, admin rights, firewall, IP addresses, or Steam servers. This guide will discuss how to fix the error of updating games on Steam.
Ways to Fix an error that occurred while updating Steam Game on Windows 11
1. Run as an admin
Close the Steam client entirely from the tray by right-clicking on it, and exit. Next, right-click on the shortcut and select ” Run as administrator “.
2. Firewall and Antivirus
Windows Firewall can block the connection, preventing it from connecting to Steam servers and updating the game. For this reason, disable your firewall and check if the problem is fixed. If so, it’s worth adding Steam.exe to your firewall exceptions.
In addition, if you have a third-party antivirus installed, then it is worth uninstalling it for a while and checking if the game is updated. Also, we recommend checking the quarantine in the built-in Windows Defender if there are any files associated with the game or Steam.
If there is a lack of RAM, the game will not be able to update due to a lack of memory. Open the task manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc and terminate all unnecessary program processes that take up a lot of memory. You can click on the ” Memory ” tab to sort your most consumed programs.
4. Clear the Steam download cache
There are situations where configuration data becomes corrupted, and flushing the cache can help. For this:
- Open the launcher and click on the ” Steam ” tab > ” Settings “.
- Go to “Downloads” and click on ” Clear download cache “from the bottom.
5. Restore the library folder
- Go to “Downloads” and click on the right ” Steam Library Folders “.
- Below, right-click on the game and ” Restore Library Folder “.
6. Checking the integrity of the game
The game files themselves on the disk may be corrupted, and to fix them:
- Go to your game library.
- Right-click on a game that is not updating.
- Select ” Properties ” and in a new window “, Check the integrity of game files .”
7. Change of region
Changing the region on Steam solves many problems with the update since the farthest server may be in the settings, which will make it challenging to update games.
- Go back to Downloads and make sure your region is on the right.
- In addition, I changed to another one, for example, Belarus and the update was successful.