The error code 0x0000011b associated with a network printer started to appear after updating some patches like KB5005627, KB5005652, KB5005563, KB5005573 KB5005565 and KB5005613 in different editions and versions of Windows 11/10, which Microsoft released to close the PrintNightmare print queue vulnerability.
The vulnerability was not closed if the administrator did not manually create an additional parameter in the registry. For this reason, Microsoft, with updates, automatically started making this parameter in the registry, which led to the mass error 0x0000011b.
In addition, Microsoft removed the default option to launch a printer on the network without administrator rights in the KB5005652 patch on August 10. This results in error 0x0000011b when a user with insufficient privileges tries to connect to a printer on the same network. It just won’t be able to install the printer driver from the network/server. This article will guide you to fix the “Windows cannot connect to the printer; Operation failed with error 0x0000011b” problem in Windows 11/10.
How to fix Windows cannot connect to the Printer (error 0x0000011b)
1. Remove Problematic update
In Windows 11/10, search for “Control Panel” in the start menu and open it.
Next, go to uninstall programs. On the left, click on “View installed updates “.
Highlight Security Update KB5005565 or KB5005568 and click Uninstall above.
Restart your PC, and the error 0x0000011b will be resolved.
Note: Several Windows 11 users have reported that patches like KB5005565 and KB5005568 are causing the printer issue. So uninstall them and see if that helps.
2. Without removing updates
If you do not want to remove the security update, press Win + R and type Regedit to open the registry editor. In the registry, go along the path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Print
- Right-click on a blank space on the right.
- New> DWORD Parameter (32-bit).
- Name it RpcAuthnLevelPrivacyEnabled.
- Double click on it and set it to 0.
- Reboot your PC.
3. Error 0x0000011b installing the printer driver
If users on the network cannot install printers using drivers on a remote computer or server, or update a printer driver, then run a command prompt as administrator and enter:
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ Printers \ PointAndPrint" / v RestrictDriverInstallationToAdministrators / t REG_DWORD / d 1 / f
4. Run the Printer Troubleshooter
Microsoft offers Windows 11/10 Printer Troubleshooter to resolve any Printer related problem such as the “Connect to Printer” error. To launch the Troubleshooter for your Printer, follow the below steps:
- Open Settings (Use Win + I shortcut key).
- Now head over to Update & Security > Troubleshooter.
- Tap on the Additional Troubleshooter from the right panel.
- Expand the Printer section, and then click on Run the Troubleshooter.
- Now choose your Printer and click on the Next button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to get your Printer up and to run.
5. Print Spooler Service Stop/Start
We know printing tasks are carried out by an in-built tool, i.e. print spooler service. Sometimes latest Cumulative Update may corrupt this service, so we should check the current state of the print spooler service. If the status shows disabled, then you should start the same.
- Type “Window Key and R” and launch the Run dialog.
- Type “services.msc” and hit OK in the search box.
- Now scroll down to see the Print spooler service.
- Right-click on the spooler service and then tap on the option Properties.
- Now check Startup type options using the drop-down menu (Select Automatic).
- The service status should show “Running”. If not, tap on the Start button.
- If the spooler service is running, you should stop and start it afterwards.
- Click Apply then OK to confirm this setting changes.
6: Set a static IP address
- Head over to the Settings Page.
- Now choose Devices and select Printers & Scanners.
- Tap on Add a printer or scanner option.
- You will see “The printer I want isn’t listed” tap on that.
- Tap on the “Add a printer using a TCP/IP or hostname.”
- Enter the Hostname or IP address of the Printer.
- Now test the Printer by visiting the Print a test page.
still need this guide after 04/2022 update ?
0*0000011b error printer sharing with clients pc
every time win10 update uninstall this for printer having this error 0x0000011b