The error code 0x0000011b associated with a network printer started to appear after updating some patches like KB5005627, KB5005652, KB5005563, KB5005573 KB5005565 and KB5005613 in different editions and versions of Windows 11/10, which Microsoft released to close the PrintNightmare print queue vulnerability.
In fact, the vulnerability was not closed if the administrator did not manually create an additional parameter in the registry. For this reason, Microsoft with updates automatically started creating this parameter in the registry, which led to the mass error 0x0000011b.
In addition, Microsoft removed the default option to launch a printer on the network without administrator rights in the KB5005652 patch on August 10. This results in error 0x0000011b when a user who does not have sufficient rights tries to connect to a printer on the same network. It just won’t be able to install the printer driver from the network/server. This guide is about how to fix the “Windows cannot connect to the printer, Operation failed with error 0x0000011b” in Windows 11/10.
How to fix Windows cannot connect to the printer (error 0x0000011b)
1. Remove update KB5005565
In Windows 11/10, search for “Control Panel” in the start menu and open it.
Next, go to uninstall programs. On the left, click on ” View installed updates “.
Highlight Security Update KB5005565 and click Uninstall above.
Restart your PC and the error 0x0000011b will be resolved.
2. Without removing updates
If you do not want to remove the security update, then press Win + R and type regedit to open the registry editor. In the registry, go along the path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Print
- Right-click on a blank space on the right.
- New> DWORD Parameter (32-bit).
- Name it RpcAuthnLevelPrivacyEnabled.
- Double click on it and set it to 0.
- Reboot your PC.
3. Error 0x0000011b installing the printer driver
If users on the network cannot install printers using drivers on a remote computer or server, or update a printer driver, then run a command prompt as administrator and enter:
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ Printers \ PointAndPrint" / v RestrictDriverInstallationToAdministrators / t REG_DWORD / d 1 / f
4. Run the Printer Troubleshooter
Windows 11/10 Printer Troubleshooter may resolve the printer problem if you are encountering the “Connect to Printer” error. To launch the Troubleshooter for your printer, follow the below steps:
- Open Settings (Use Win + I combination).
- Now head over to Update & Security > Troubleshooter.
- Tap on the Additional Troubleshooter from the right panel.
- Expand the Printer section, and then click on Run the troubleshooter.
- Now choose your Printer and click on the Next button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to get your printer up and running.