The distribution of software on the Internet has changed and adopted different formats for packaging data, but one of the old formats remained, and this is ISO, which was intended for CD / DVD discs. Optical discs have outlived their usefulness, but the ISO format has remained and continues to exist. Typically, the ISO image distributes operating systems Windows 11 and others.
For some users, the question arises of how to open an ISO file in Windows 11, and how to mount data from the image to the virtual drive of the system in order to write files from the ISO image to a USB flash drive to install the operating system.
You no longer need to download and use third-party programs to open an ISO image or create installation flash drives, since in Windows 11 you can mount this format to a virtual disk and see all the files in this image, and then write the files to a USB flash drive. And here’s how to do it.
Mount ISOs in Windows 11
1. Right-click on the ISO image and select ” Connect ” from the context menu.
2. Next, open Explorer (This PC) and you will see the connected virtual drive.
3. Open this virtual disk and you will find all the files in this image.
4. When you no longer need the ISO image to be mounted, right-click on the virtual drive and select ” Extract “. This will remove the virtual drive and mountable image.
Burn an ISO image of Windows 11 to a USB Drive
If you need to burn an ISO image or file from Windows 11 to a USB flash drive to install the operating system, then:
- Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port of your computer or laptop.
- Select all files by pressing the Ctrl + A buttons and right-click on any file in the mounted ISO image.
- In the context menu, select ” Send “> ” USB storage ” and all files from the image will be copied to the flash drive, after which you can start installing windows.