So you’ve lost your Fire Stick remote, or it stopped working, and now you need to reset your device but don’t have a remote to use. Resetting your Fire Stick can help resolve many issues you may be having with the device, but doing it without a remote can seem daunting. Well, don’t worry – there are a few straightforward methods to successfully reset your Fire Stick even without having the remote on hand.
Why Reset Your Fire Stick?
Before we get into the step-by-step instructions, let’s go over exactly why you may want or need to reset your Fire Stick. Some common reasons include:
- Your Fire Stick is running slowly or acting glitchy
- Apps are freezing or crashing frequently
- You’re receiving error messages
- The device won’t connect to WiFi or other devices properly
- You forgot your Amazon account password
Resetting the Fire Stick clears the cache and data, restarts the device, and restores it to its factory settings. This can wipe out bugs, glitches, and other software issues that may be causing problems. It’s always a good first step before trying more complex troubleshooting.
And if you just want to start fresh because you’re giving your device to someone else or want to switch Amazon accounts, a reset lets you remove any personal data.
Preparing to Reset Your Fire Stick
Before actually resetting your device, some preparation will make the process smoother:
Look for a spare remote: Even though you likely won’t have the actual Fire Stick remote, you may have another remote capable of connecting to the stick, such as the remote that came with your TV or soundbar. These can often control basic Fire TV functions.
Have batteries ready: Most methods for resetting without a remote require new batteries to be put in the device even if the existing batteries are not dead. So, obtain some new AA batteries to use.
Get the Fire Stick serial number: Locate the serial number printed on a label directly on your Fire Stick. This will allow you to link the stick to a new account if you get logged out of the existing one during a reset.
Back-up data: If possible, back up any data, settings, or game progress you want to keep before performing a factory reset. This data will all be erased once you reset the device.
Reset Your Fire Stick Without Using Remote Control
Let’s try the best methods to reset your Fire Stick if you’ve lost the remote.
Method 1: Use the Fire TV Mobile App
One of the easiest ways to reset your Fire Stick without a physical remote is by using Amazon’s official Fire TV app. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
2. Ensure your phone and Fire Stick device are connected to the same WiFi network.
3. Open the mobile app and select your Fire Stick from the list of available devices.
4. You’ll be prompted to enter a 6-digit code shown directly on your TV screen to link the app to the Stick.
5. Once linked, use the on-screen controls in the app to navigate to Settings > My Fire TV > Restart to reset your Fire Stick.
6. If needed, A full factory reset option with data erasure is also available in the mobile app settings menu.
This method works flawlessly if your phone and Fire Stick communicate over WiFi. It avoids physically interacting with the device to get it into recovery mode.
Method 2: Use Alexa Voice Commands
You can use voice commands to restart or reset the stick if you have an Alexa-enabled device like an Echo Dot connected to your Fire Stick. Here are the basic steps:
1. With your Fire Stick powered on and connected to WiFi, activate your Alexa device and say, “Alexa, open Fire TV.” This links them.
2. Say, “Alexa, reboot my Fire Stick” to restart the device.
3. For a full reset, say, “Alexa, reset my Fire Stick to factory settings.” Alexa will initiate a reset.
Just remember to say “Alexa, thank you” when it finishes! Using Alexa eliminates buttons altogether and offers hands-free voice control.
Method 3: Perform a Hardware Factory Reset
This last method is the old-school way of resetting electronic devices by using a combination of hardware button presses to force a factory reset. Here is how to reset a Fire Stick with no remote this way:
1. Unplug the power cord from the Fire Stick and plug it back in to reboot it. Wait for the home screen to load.
2. Press and hold down the Select button + Play/Pause buttons simultaneously for 10-20 seconds. This is tricky with no remote but can be done by carefully pressing the small buttons on the stick.
3. When the Fire Stick boot menu appears on the screen, release held buttons. Use the arrow buttons on the unit to scroll down to the “Reset to Factory Defaults” option.
4. Press the Select button once to choose the factory reset option. Confirm reset on the next menu. The device will reset and reboot.
As you can see, this process is most difficult since it requires physically accessing small buttons built into the device. But it does reliably perform a factory reset as well.
Method 4: Use Another USB Device
If you have another spare USB device handy, you can also use that to reset your remote-less Fire Stick. This leverages USB accessories already paired with the streaming device. Follow these instructions:
- Power on your Fire Stick and plug in another USB device that has been previously connected to it, such as a keyboard, second remote, or external hard drive.
- The Fire Stick should automatically detect and reconnect to that USB device. Use directional keys and enter them on the connected device to navigate to Settings.
- Go to My Fire TV > Restart to restart the device. Allow Fire Stick to reboot normally first.
- Once restarted, go back into My Fire TV settings using a connected USB device. This time, select Reset to Factory Defaults to reset fully.
The benefit of using a USB device is that virtually any paired accessory can work – Wii remotes, wireless keyboards, control gamepads, and more. As long as the device has been linked before, the hardware and software inside the Fire Stick will recognize it on connection without a remote.
This lets you wirelessly leverage keys, control buttons, and joysticks built into various devices to reset the stick and redo the setup. Just be sure to have another eligible USB device available.
So, if you don’t have a mobile phone or Alexa or can’t find hardware buttons on the Fire Stick itself, plugging in an existing USB accessory makes resetting wirelessly easier.
Reconnecting After Resetting
Once you’ve reset your remote-less Fire Stick using any method above and the device restarts, you’ll need to reconnect it to WiFi and re-register the stick to your Amazon account during setup prompts.
Having the Fire Stick serial number and your Amazon login ready will make this much easier to complete without a remote to enter info. Using the Fire TV mobile app is the fastest way to reconnect after a reset.
Enjoy Your Remote-Free Fire Stick!
No matter which reset method you used above, your Fire Stick should now be freshly restored to factory conditions without the need for the standard remote control that came with the streaming device originally.
You should now be able to troubleshoot issues, switch accounts if wanted, or just enjoy a smooth streaming experience again, using the Fire TV mobile app, Alexa voice control, or another compatible remote as your primary control method rather than the missing Fire Stick remote.