Resetting your GE refrigerator is an easy do-it-yourself troubleshooting step that can fix many common problems. Resetting clears any glitches and resets the computerized control board that operates your refrigerator and its various electronic components.
Follow this simple guide to learn when and how to reset your GE fridge.
When to Reset Your GE Refrigerator
Try resetting your GE refrigerator if you notice any of the following issues:
– Interior temperatures too warm or fluctuating
– Ice maker not making ice
– Water dispenser flow is slow or stops
– Unusual noises like loud compressor humming
– Control panel malfunctioning or showing error codes
– Interior lights flickering or not working
– Doors not closing properly or alarms going off
Resetting often resolves minor malfunctions with the temperature controls, ice maker, dispenser, circut boards and other electrical parts. Attempt a reset before calling for costly repairs.
How to Reset a GE Refrigerator
1. Remove All Food/Beverages
Before starting the reset, take out all food and drinks. This prevents spoilage if the power cycles off during the reset process.
2. Take Out Removable Parts
Remove any removable bins, drawers, shelves, etc. This allows full access to the rear panel where the reset button is located.
3. Locate the Reset Button
GE refrigerators have a small round reset button located behind the control panel on the interior upper back wall. It’s near the top on the left or right side.
Check your owner’s manual for the exact location if unsure. The button may be concealed under a screw-on cap.
4. Press and Hold the Reset Button
Press and hold the reset button for 3-5 seconds until the display panel lights go out and the refrigerator powers down.
Hold the button down for 30 more seconds as it completes the reset sequence.
5. Wait for the Refrigerator to Restart
After holding for 30 seconds, release the reset button. The refrigerator will automatically restart itself after a few moments.
6. Reload the Refrigerator
Before returning any food or accessories, allow about 10 minutes for the interior to re-cool after restarting.
7. Adjust Settings as Needed
The temperature controls will revert to the factory defaults, often colder than desired. Adjust the settings to your normal desired temperature.
You may need to reset features like water filters, WiFi connectivity, and ice makers that were cleared.
Helpful Reset Tips
– Allow 24 hours after resetting for optimal temperature regulation and function.
– Try resetting before calling for service – it often resolves minor issues quickly and easily.
– Reset about once every 6 months for optimal performance.
– After power outages or unplugging, reset to recalibrate ice makers and sensors.
– Check your owner’s manual for the exact location if you have difficulty locating the reset button.
– Normal sounds may be louder immediately after resetting but should subside within 48 hours.
Resetting your GE fridge takes just a few minutes and can fix many problems before an expensive service call.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long do I hold the reset button?
Hold the reset button for 3-5 seconds until the fridge powers off, then hold about 30 seconds more until it restarts.
2. Where is the reset button located?
The reset button is located on the back interior wall, towards the top left or right side behind the control panel.
3. Do I need to unplug the refrigerator before resetting it?
The reset process is designed to power cycle the refrigerator internally while still plugged in.
4. Will resetting delete my programmed settings?
Yes, resetting will clear any custom settings you have configured and revert to factory defaults.
5. What could happen if I hold the reset too long?
Holding the reset for 30 seconds after the initial power off can cause an overload during restart.
6. How can I back up my settings before resetting?
Unfortunately, settings cannot be backed up before resetting a GE refrigerator. Try taking photos of your settings for reference after.
7. How long should I wait before plugging back in after resetting?
You do not need to unplug the refrigerator at any point during the reset process; keep it plugged in.
8. Is it safe to reset while the refrigerator is running?
Yes, the refrigerator is designed to be reset while powered on and operating. The reset initiates an internally controlled power cycle.
9. Will resetting remove error codes or alerts?
One benefit of resetting your GE refrigerator is that it will clear any error codes or warning messages on the control panel.
10. Does resetting affect food storage time?
No, resetting will not impact how long foods stay fresh in the refrigerator or freezer. Be sure to follow proper food storage guidelines.
1. Try resetting your GE refrigerator before arranging costly repairs – it often fixes minor issues.
2. hold the reset button behind the control panel for 3-5 seconds.
3. Hold the reset button down for 30 more seconds as it powers off and resets.
4. Remove all food items before resetting and allow 10 minutes after restarting before reloading.
5. Let the refrigerator run for 24 hours to stabilize temperatures before calling for service after resetting.
Refer to your owner’s manual for the exact reset button location. Reset your GE refrigerator regularly every 6 months for optimal performance.