The Windows 11 operating system automatically detects the last connected printer and makes it the default. On the one hand, this is good, but what to do when you use several printers on a network or one computer that are not configured by default? In this guide, we will analyze in detail how to make the default printer in Windows 11.
Steps to Set a Default Printer in Windows 11
- Go to Options > Bluetooth & Devices > Printers & Scanners .
- Scroll down and Disable “Let windows control my default printer”.
- Above in the list of printers, click on the one you want to make as the default.
- Click on “Set as default”.
Make default printer through printers folder
- Press Win + R and enter shell: PrintersFolder to open the printers folder.
- Right-click on the desired printer and select “Set as default”.
Configure default printer through CMD
Run Command Prompt as administrator and enter below command, where replace “printer name” with your own without removing the quotes:
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /q /n "printer name"