The Windows 11 operating system automatically detects the last connected printer and defaults. On the one hand, this is good, but what to do when you use several printers on a network or one computer that is not configured by default? In this guide, we will analyse how to make the default printer in Windows 11.
Steps to Set a Default Printer in Windows 11
- Go to Options > Bluetooth & Devices > Printers & Scanners .
- Scroll down and Disable “Let windows control my default printer”.
- Above in the list of printers, click on the one you want to make as the default.
- Click on “Set as default”.
Make default printer through printer’s folder.
- Press Win + R and enter shell: PrintersFolder to open the printer’s folder.
- Right-click on the desired printer and select “Set as default”.
Configure the default printer through CMD
Run Command Prompt as administrator and enter the below command, where replace “printer-name” with your own without removing the quotes:
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /q /n "printer name"