Windows 11 automatically updates the system for security, performance, bug fixes, and new features. For some users, in particular gamers, automatic updates can interfere, creating high ping during gameplay. This manual describes how to disable or block or stop automatic Windows 11 updates by stopping them for a while, setting a limited connection and a special utility that will disable updates permanently.
Windows 11 Update Blocker
Before disabling Windows 11 updates, let’s take a look at some points.
- It is not recommended to disable updates for a long time, as you will lose new features, security and performance.
- Windows 11 has a WaasMedic service that will automatically start the update service, even if you disabled it in the services or registry.
This is a safe, quick and workaround to stop automatic Windows 11 updates for 7 days, then you can for another 1 week. For this:
- Go to Settings > Windows Update > Pause for 1 Week
Internet connection limit
A safe and workaround life hack is to set your internet connection as a metered one. Windows 11 will not update the system if the Internet connection is limited.
- Open ” Options “> ” Network and Internet “> on the right click on ” Properties ” of the Ethernet or WiFi adapter.
- Find the ” Metered connection ” item and enable the slider.
- Next, open ” Windows Update “> ” Advanced options “> and make sure ” Download updates over metered connections ” is disabled.
Windows Update Blocker Tool
If you want to disable all services related to the Windows 11 update, then the Windows 11 Update Blocker tool is an excellent choice. Why is this method good? The fact that it disables services like wuauserv, dosvc, UsoSvc, BITS and WaaSMedicSvc, which can start the update center and other services.
- Go to the official sordum website and at the very bottom of the page click on Download to download
- Unpack this ZIP archive to a convenient location and run it in the Wub.exe folder
- Check ” Disable updates ” and check the ” Protect service settings ” checkbox.