Keeping your Hisense smart TV up-to-date with the latest software and firmware is important to get the most out of it and keep it performing optimally. Depending on the specific model and operating system, a few different ways exist to update a Hisense TV. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk through the steps to update various Hisense smart TV models, including Android TV, Roku TV, Vidaa TV, Fire TV, and Google TV models. We’ll also cover how to update older Hisense TVs via USB.
Update Hisense TV Firmware to the Latest Version
Update Hisense Android TV
Many Hisense smart TVs run the Android TV operating system. If you have an Android-based Hisense TV, updating it is quick and easy. Here are the steps:
- Using your Hisense TV remote, go to the Settings menu. This is typically accessed by pressing your remote’s gear/cog icon.
- In Settings, go to the Device Preferences menu.
- Select About. You should see the current Android version running on your TV in this menu. Make a note of this before moving to the next step.
- Go back to Device Preferences and select System Update. Your TV will now check for any available updates from Hisense.
- If an update is available, select Download and Install to download and install it on your TV. Keep your TV powered on during the entire process.
- Once the update finishes installing, your TV will automatically restart. The update process is now complete.
- Return to Settings > Device Preferences > About to verify the new version. You should see the updated Android version now running on your Hisense Android TV.
The entire process usually only takes a few minutes, assuming your TV is connected to the internet via WiFi or Ethernet. Performing updates keeps your Hisense Android TV running the latest software from Hisense with any new features, performance improvements, and security patches.
Update Hisense Smart TV with Roku OS
Hisense and Roku have partnered together to offer a line of Roku TVs. These Hisense Roku TVs run the Roku operating system rather than Android TV. Updating them works a bit differently compared to Hisense Android TV models. Here’s how to update a Hisense Roku TV:
- From the Home screen, go to Settings.
- Select System > System Update.
- Your Hisense Roku TV will now automatically check for any available updates and download them if available.
- Once the update downloads, select Install to install it on your TV. Allow the installation process to complete fully before turning off your TV.
- After the update is installed, your Hisense Roku TV will automatically restart. The update process is now complete.
- To verify the new Roku OS version, return to Settings > System > About. You’ll now see the latest Roku version running.
The update only takes a few minutes to download and install as long as your Hisense Roku TV is connected to your home internet. Roku updates typically bring bug fixes, security patches, and new features to the Roku platform.
Update Hisense Vidaa TV
- Using the remote, go to the main Settings menu on your TV.
- Navigate to and Select “Support.”
- Scroll down and select the “System Upgrade” option.
- Choose “Check firmware Upgrades” – this will cause the TV to check online and download any available firmware updates.
- If an update is found, it will prompt you to download and install it. Accept the prompts to begin the installation process.
- The TV will download the updated files it needs. Then, it will prompt you again to install the update. Accept this prompt.
- The TV will install the firmware update. This usually takes around 5-10 minutes. The TV may reboot a couple of times during the install.
- When done, the TV will confirm the firmware has been updated, and you can exit Settings. You can check the new firmware version in the System info.
Update Hisense Fire TV
Hisense has also partnered with Amazon to offer smart TVs powered by the Fire TV operating system. Updating a Hisense Fire TV works just like other Fire TV products. There are two ways to update:
- Go to Settings > Device > About > Software Version. Note the current Fire TV version.
- Return to Settings > Device and select Check for System Update.
- If an update is available, your Hisense Fire TV will automatically download and install it. Allow the process to complete fully.
- Once finished, the TV will restart with the new Fire TV OS version.
Both methods require an internet connection to download Amazon’s latest Fire TV firmware. This ensures your Hisense Fire TV is always up-to-date with the latest features and fixes.
Update Hisense Google TV
Hisense Google TVs run the latest Google TV software designed for TVs. Keeping your Hisense Google TV up-to-date is simple:
- Select Settings from the home screen.
- Choose System > About. Note the current Google TV version.
- Go back and select System > System update.
- If an update is available, select Download and Install.
- Your Hisense Google TV will now download and install the latest update. Don’t interrupt the process.
- Once complete, the TV will automatically restart.
- Verify the new version under System > About.
Hisense Google TV updates are installed much like Android TV models. Your TV must be connected to the internet via WiFi or Ethernet. Updates deliver new Google TV features, app updates, and performance fixes to keep your TV running smoothly.
Update Hisense Smart TV via USB [For Older Models]
Some older Hisense smart TV models do not support automatic over-the-air updates. For these TVs, you must manually update using a USB drive. The steps are:
- Find your TV model on your computer’s Hisense firmware downloads page. Download the latest firmware file.
- Copy the firmware ZIP file over to a USB thumb drive or external hard drive. The drive must use FAT32 format.
- Turn on your Hisense TV and plug the USB drive into the USB port.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to navigate to the USB update menu. Select the firmware file to begin the update.
- Let the update process finish. The TV will display a progress bar. Don’t remove the USB drive.
- Once complete, the Hisense TV will reboot itself. The update is now finished.
- Check the firmware version from the About section of your TV’s menu to confirm the new version.
USB is the only option for important Hisense TV firmware updates with some older models. Just make sure to download the latest firmware file to a USB drive before starting. The process takes some time, but updating and optimizing older smart TVs is necessary.
Enable Automatic Updates
To ensure your Hisense TV always stays on the newest software version, you can enable automatic update checks and downloads:
- From the Settings menu, select Support, then Auto Software Update.
- Choose the Auto Update mode you prefer:
- Notify Automatically: The TV will prompt when new updates are found.
- Download & Install Automatically: TV will download and install without prompting.
- Select the frequency for auto-update checks: Daily, Weekly, or Monthly.
Your Hisense TV will continually look for the latest software and install updates on its own when you enable this setting. Ensure you leave your TV in standby/sleep mode during update check times.
Keeping your Hisense television up-to-date is important for optimal performance and access to the latest features. The method to update your specific Hisense TV varies depending on the model and operating system. For Android TV, Roku TV, Google TV, and Fire TV models, updating directly on the television is the preferred method. For Hisense’s Vidaa TV platform and some older models, downloading firmware to a USB drive is required. Refer to your Hisense TV support page and follow the steps outlined above to update your smart television smoothly. Performing periodic updates keeps your TV running like new.